Free Things to Do
22 ways to explore Huntington Beach on a budget
Having fun in Huntington Beach doesn't require a lot of money. There are many things to see and do in Surf City USA for free. With 10 miles of wide-open beaches, year-round warm weather, and a variety of beautiful parks, Huntington Beach offers a fun and inexpensive getaway, for all, any time of the year.
1. The beach. Beach access is free. Spend your day on the sand, soaking up the sun and splashing in the waves.
2. An evening around a beach bonfire is the perfect end to your perfect day in Surf City USA. Over 500 bonfire rings are available to the public free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis along the Huntington Beach coastline.
4. Go fishing off the Huntington Beach Pier. No fishing license required.
5. See how many of the nearly 300 species of birds you can find at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. Five miles of public trails allow you to explore to your heart's content. Free tours are also available on select weekends.
7. Walk around Downtown Huntington Beach's Farmers' Market every Tuesday from 5 PM - 8 PM.
8. Groove to live music at Pacific City on most Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
9. Visit Shipley Nature Center in Huntington Central Park and learn about California native plants. The center holds regular educational seminars and kid-friendly events that are almost always free to the public.
10. See which of your favorite surfers have the same hand and shoe (or flip-flop) size as you at the Surfers' Hall of Fame in front of Huntington Surf and Sport at Main Street and Pacific Coast Highway.
11. Take a walk along the 10-mile paved beach path. Or bring your own wheels and challenge yourself to cover the entire scenic trail.
12. Learn about the ecology of the Huntington Beach Wetlands at the new Wetlands and Wildlife Care and Education Center.
13. Check out the latest exhibit at the Huntington Beach Art Center on Main Street. Donations welcome.
16. Test out your grinding skills at the Vans Off The Wall Skatepark. Admission is free, the park is open daily, and gear rentals are available.
17. Admire hot rods and dunk your donuts in your coffee at the "Donut Derelicts" Saturday sunrise car cruisers show, a weekly tradition held outside Adams Avenue Donuts since 1985.
18. Practice your Downward Dog during a free yoga class at Yoga on the Beach HB Daily Yoga at Tower 14 on the beach.
20. Learn about Sunset Beach's history for free with the Sunset Beach Walking Tour.
22. Take your dog to Huntington Dog Beach for a pawesome time.