Surf City Marathon
Feb 1, 2019 – Feb 3, 2019
The Surf City USA Marathon is a runner's dream. The 23rd annual marathon weekend will feature two days of running with 5K and half-marathon distances. Taking place on the morning of Superbowl Sunday (the first Sunday in February) the oceanfront course takes you through the best of Huntington Beach. From Pacific Coast Highway to Central Park, the mostly flat course is perfect for new marathoners and is even used by some as a qualifier for the Boston Marathon. In addition to the full marathon, the event includes a half marathon and the largest beachside health and wellness expo on the West Coast. Registration for the marathon opens in late spring each year. Marathon registration and Huntington Beach Hotels do sell out; advance reservations are highly recommended.
Schedule of Events
Friday, February 1st
1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Free and open to the public, the expo features the latest in running technologies, fitness apparel and interactive displays. Participants will be able to pick up their race packets at the expo.
Saturday, February 2
11:00 AM - Cowabunga Challenge
- The inaugural “Cowabunga Challenge” on the beach is a race full of sand, surf and smiles. A family-friendly event featuring kids races.
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
More than 100 exhibitors offering the latest running gear, training tips and interactive clinics. Free and open to the public.
Sunday, February 3 - RACE DAY
- 6:28 AM - Wheelchair Start
- 6:30 AM - Marathon Start
- 7:00 AM- 5K Start
- 7:45 AM - Half Marathon Start
Surf City USA Marathon Offerings
• Oceanfront Marathon and Half Marathon Course on PCH
• Award Winning Surfboard Medals for all Finishers
• Average High Temperature on Race Day 68 degrees
• Long Sleeve Flashy Participant Shirts
• FREE Beer Garden
• Live Surf Band Course Entertainment
• 3 Day California Lifestyle Expo
• Free Live Runner Tracking for Participants and their Fans
• FREE Parking and FREE Shuttles to Start/Finish Areas
– Wheelchair Marathon Start Time 6:25 a.m.
– Marathon Start Time 6:30 a.m.
– The course limit is 6 hours, a pace of about 13:43 per mile. Course closes at 1:30 p.m.
– Aid Stations include: Water, Energy Gels and electrolyte replacement drinks.
– Official finish times, finisher medals, and post-race refreshments cannot be guaranteed to any participants finishing over 6 hours.
– USA Track & Field certified
– Official Boston Marathon qualifier
– Highest point less than 100′ above sea level
– Steepest course grade is approximately 6%
– Sunrise: 6:47 a.m.
– Average temp at the start: 48 degrees
– Live Results
– An early start is not available
Surf City Marathon Rules
Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Should you not be able to attend the event, please email us at email@example.com.
• If you are already registered for the event, you may transfer or upgrade from one category to the other, AS LONG AS THERE IS STILL SPACE AVAILABLE in the race in which you want to transfer. Please see below to submit your request.
• If you attempt to sell your race number, you may not be able to participant in future events.
• You must be at least 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon.
• You must be in good health.
• You must show photo ID to receive your race number and timing chip.
• You must pick up your own race packet and race number at the Expo.
• Race numbers are required to participate.
• Medals and/or shirts will not be mailed out.
• No bikes, in-line skates, skateboards or dogs will be allowed on the course.
Unlimited tasks and responsibilities are available for volunteer. Volunteers receive a volunteer t-shirt and get the opportunity to make a difference in many peoples lives.
Information sourced from Surf City Marathon website