All dogs go to Huntington Beach. Voted as one of California’s dog-friendliest cities, Surf City USA welcomes four-legged friends with open arms almost everywhere. We don’t want you to leave your best friend at home any more than you do.
Before we dig into restaurants, it’s crucial to know that Huntington Beach’s best breweries cheers to canines, including Riip Beer Company (riipbeer.com), Four Sons Brewing (foursonsbrewing.com), and Beachwood Brewing (beachwoodbrewing.com). Dogs even have their own “barkery.” Top Dog Barkery at Pacific City stocks personalized cakes, pastries, healthy chew sticks, packaged “Made in America” bites, and so much more.
Photo taken at Four Sons Brewery
Now for the main course. Main Street is lined with dog-friendly restaurant patios, including Baja Sharkeez, a lively mesquite Mex broiler, and No Ka Oi, a casual Hawaiian-Asian fusion eatery. Many of the restaurants at Pacific City with outdoor patios also wave in hounds, including Simmzy’s, Ways & Means, Lemonade, and Saint Marc.
Photo credits // instagram.com/poppythepuppyla/
Here are six of the most dog-friendly spots around town.
1) Fred’s Mexican Grill Perched at the corner of Main Street and Pacific Coast Highway, Fred’s hosts Doggie Date Night every Monday from 4 p.m. to midnight on the patio—with a stunning view of the Huntington Beach Pier and Pacific Ocean. fredsmexicancafe.com
2) Pacific Hideaway Inside the Kimpton Shorebreak Resort at 5th & PCH, Pacific Hideaway lives up to the brand’s very pet-friendly promise: “If your pet fits through the door, we’ll welcome them in.” Dogs are welcome on the outdoor patio and may choose from three savory menu items: chicken and white rice, fish and sweet potato, and beef and vegetable. Complimentary water bowls are included. Come for Sit, Stay Sundays, when dogs eat free if you spend $15 or more after 3 p.m. pacifichideawayhb.com
Photo credits // Kasper & Winston
3) Kathy May’s Lakeview Cafe Seated on the edge of Lake Huntington at Huntington Beach Central Park, this dog-friendly cafe invites tail-waggers to its outdoor patio, complete with complimentary water bowls. kathymayslakeviewcafe.com
4) Park Bench Cafe Nestled inside Huntington Beach Central Park along Goldenwest Street, Park Bench reigns supreme as the best dog-friendly restaurant in town. It not only features abundant outdoor seating with dogs and complimentary water bowls, it also serves up an entire “Canine Cuisine” menu of sweet and savory treats. After a long stroll around the also dog-friendly park, order up the Hound Dog Heaven (juicy ground beef) or the Rover Easy (two scrambled eggs), plus a Peanut Butter Bone for dessert. parkbenchcafe.com
Photo credits // traveling_newlyweds
5) Sandy’s Beach Shack Located at the pier and under Duke’s, Sandy’s boasts a killer view of the beach. Your pup can enjoy it with you on the outdoor patio, and chow down on a bowl of grilled chicken or ground beef. Need water for Fido? Simply ask your server. sandysbeachshack.com
Photo credits // Nicksterphotography
6) Sit Stay Cafe If the name doesn’t say it all, rest assured that this downtown Huntington Beach cafe loves canines and coffee alike. Conveniently located about one mile from Dog Beach at 11th Street and Orange Avenue, this cozy spot invites dogs and their owners to refuel on the front patio. Sip a hot cup o’ joe and fill up on a breakfast sandwich while your pup sips from complimentary water bowls and nibbles on all-natural, healthy dog treats. They also carry unique dog collars. sitstaycafehb.com
Photo credits // Cup in the air