NASCAR's Johnson, snowboarder Eddie Wall, ski racer Chris Benchetler, surfer Ian Walsh, and
Huntington Beach, Calif., March 12, 2013 -Although NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson's daily lingo includes words like "pit stop", "banking" and "engine block", his jargon last week consisted of "shredding", "tubing", "carving" and "radical."
The Huntington Beach Marketing and Visitors Bureau joined together with the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana and The Mammoth Mountain Ski Area to put together the perfect day in California with a dream team of five champion athletes who caught waves by the famed Huntington Beach Pier, hit speeds up to 200 mph at the Auto Club Speedway, and carved it up on skis and snowboards in the fresh powder at Mammoth Mountain - all in just under 9 hours. We called it #OnlyinCA.
Johnson, along with surfer Ian Walsh, stand up paddler Dave Kalama , snowboarder Eddie Wall, and ski racer Chris Benchetler, shined in their respective sports, but Johnson proved he could hang with the big dogs from dusk to dawn as all five tackled some of the state's most epic venues.
First stop, Huntington Beach, where all five athletes tested their surfing skills at the famous Huntington Beach Pier:
- Johnson tweet: Thanks for the tips @Ianwalsh4. Now it's my turn at the track.
- Team Lowe's Racing tweet: Surf's Up!
- Hendrick Motorsports tweet: Thanks to @ACSupdates for photographic evidence that @jimmiejohnson can catch a wave.
Next stop, Auto Club Speedway, where each jumped behind the wheel of an authentic stock car:
- Chris Benchetler tweet: If you're not first, you're last. Racing NASCAR with @ Jimmiejohnson.
- Ian Walsh tweet : Funnest thing ever. No. 1 hands down.
Final destination, Mammoth Mountain:
- Driver Brendan Gaughan: Sure, won't ski with me anymore. I see where I rate.
- Mammoth Mountain Facebook: Dave Kalama is a bad big wave surfer, stand-up paddler and he's got mad skiing skills too.
Overall, an epic day:
- Ian Walsh: A Monday I'll remember for a long time.
- ESPN's Mike Massaro: Looks like you had an epic day!
When it was all said and done, Johnson himself tweeted what everyone else was thinking: "What a day, #OnlyinCA!"
# # #
About the Huntington Beach Marketing and Visitors Bureau
The Huntington Beach Marketing and Visitors Bureau is the official destination marketing organization of Huntington Beach, Surf City USA®. One of Southern California's premier coastal destinations, Huntington Beach is the ideal location for a California family vacation, relaxing weekend getaway, or group conference.
With 10 miles of wide-open sandy California beaches, Huntington Beach is a destination of choice for vacationers and business travelers alike. To plan your Surf City USA® vacation, or to learn more about Huntington Beach, visit the Huntington Beach Marketing and Visitors Bureau website at www.SurfCityUSA.com or call 800-729-6232.
Surf City USA® is a registered mark of the Huntington Beach Marketing and Visitors Bureau.
Huntington Beach Marketing and Visitors Bureau
Madison Fisher, Director of Marketing & Communications
Ph: 714-969-3492, ext 208, Madison@surfcityusa.com
Jamila Tahir, Communications Manager
Ph: 714-969-3492, ext 212, Jamila@surfcityusa.com