Destination Planning & Research
Visit Huntington Beach invests in research studies to help guide its strategic planning, programming, and marketing initiatives, as well as measure its success and return on investment to the community.
For example, Tourism Economics, a division of Oxford Economics, recently completed "The Economic Impact of Tourism in Huntington Beach, California," in August of 2016. The study concluded that the tourism industry in Huntington Beach generated $697 million in total economic impact in 2015. HB's visitor economy also generated $46 million in state and local tax revenues that, in turn, provided an average of $497 in tax burden relief for each household in Huntington Beach. Tourism jobs continued a five year growth trend, now comprising 1-in-17 of all jobs in the City, and generating $212 million in direct income and $276 million in direct, indirect and induced combined labor income.
Importantly, the study also determined that a total of $47.9 million in visitor spending can be attributed to the marketing efforts of Visit Huntington Beach. This includes leisure marketing and communications, website conversions, group sales, and visitor and partner services. That's a 67:1 Return on Investment (ROI) in visitor spending per marketing dollar invested by VHB, higher than the average 42:1 ROI for metro and regional DMO's in the US.
To learn more, click on the appropriate item below to view a summary of each study, which includes a Visitor Profile, US Open of Surfing Economic Impact Study, and a Travel Spending Impact Study. Additional information can be found from the organizations listed on our Resources & Links page. For more information about Visit Huntington Beach, see our frequently asked questions.
- 2018 Public Art: A Placemaking Strategy for Destinations
- 2016 Tourism Economics Study on the Economic Impact of Tourism in Huntington Beach
- 2016 Website Return on Investment Study
- 2015 Tourism Economics Study on the Economic Impact of Tourism in Huntington Beach
- 2014 Oxford Economics Destination Promotion: An Engine of Economic Development
- 2014 The Catalytic Impact of Destination Promotion
- 2014 Huntington Beach Visitor Profile
- 2014 Travel Spending Impact Study and Analysis
- 2011 Visitor Profile and Economic & Fiscal Impacts of Huntington Beach Tourism
- 2010 US Open of Surfing Economic Impact Report