For a glimpse into Huntington Beach history, the Newland House Museum, built in 1898, is the city's oldest and best-preserved residence. Fully restored and authentically furnished, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It is now open to the public thanks to efforts of the City of Huntington Beach and the Huntington Beach Historical Society. The home once belonged to Huntington Beach pioneers and community leaders William and Mary Newland, who lived there for more than half a century and raised a family of 10 children. The original Newland farm extended from Beach Boulevard to Magnolia Street and from Yorktown Avenue to Atlanta Avenue, for a total of nearly 500 acres. At the time, it was the only significant habitation for miles. The Newlands bought the property as part of the old Santa Ana River bed then known as "Gospel Swamp" for $50 an acre. With the help of neighbors, they were able to drain off the water, clear brush and expose the fertile soil land beneath. The land was planted with lima beans, sugar beets, celery and later, chili peppers. The Newlands paid $1,485 to construct their home. The octagonal turret at the front of the house was Mr. Newland's office, where he conducted the farm's business. The water tower in back was added in 1900 after a well was sunk, so the family didn't have to haul water to the house in wooden kegs. The large barn that once stood to the left of the house is now gone, replaced by the facility's parking lot. Today, the Newland House is adjacent to a shopping center. The farm has been subdivided into hundreds of 1/5th-acre lots with homes priced at $600,000 and above. If you visit the museum, however, you will find a historical treasure that still looks like it did when the Newlands lived there. Admission is $2 for adults and $1 for children. Open the first and third weekends of the month from Noon to 4 pm. Closed on major holidays and rainy days. Group tours are available by appointment.