Permits & Fees 

All commercial filming and still photography in Huntington Beach and Sunset Beach requires a film permit. Permits are issued by the City of Huntington Beach or the State of California, dependent upon where filming occurs. Our goal in working with you is to make the film permit process as simple and efficient as possible in order to assure that your project is successful and your deadlines are met!

To accomplish this, it is necessary for you to complete the Film Permit Application. We have moved the entire process online, for an even more streamlined process.

Once the Film Permit Application is received, a City representative will contact you to coordinate the process and assure that all City requirements are met. This will include providing the City with an approved certificate of insurance and a temporary business license, which will be required for the duration of your project. Additional fees may be imposed if police, fire, lifeguard, postings or other City staff are needed.

For a 5-day turnaround, the application, insurance, and business license must be submitted no later than Monday of any given week. However, we strongly recommend a 7 day or longer lead time. We cannot guarantee approval of rush applications.

Please use the following links to download the necessary documents to receive a film permit for shooting within Huntington Beach. If you would like any other information or have any questions, please contact us.

Film, Video, and Still Photography Permit Fees

Insurance Requirements

Temporary Business License Application

Please note that many fees are on a sliding scaled based on crew size in order to give filmmakers the best price possible.