We have an exciting city-wide event talking over Huntington Beach! The inaugural National Cartoonist Society (NCS) Fest will host over 100 global cartoonists and comic artists in the first-ever public art event from May 17-19, 2019. As America’s biggest comic arts festival, the entire weekend will offer both free and ticketed events in and around Huntington Beach. The three-day event will showcase seminars, exhibitions, workshops, panel discussions and signing sessions, with the vast majority of which will be free to the public. Downtown Huntington Beach will be the setting, with all events staged beachside, on the iconic pier, at the HB Arts Center and library and in local hotels and businesses, all within easy walking distance (see map below).
Free events and activations will take place on Saturday, May 18 – Sunday, May 19 including:
- “The Big Tent” at Pier Plaza - marvel at the work of some of the world’s most popular, talented and entertaining comic artists and cartoonists.
- Giant Comic Strip at the HB Pier - watch a giant comic unfold along Huntington Beach Pier and follow the misadventures of Buddy the Octopus as he climbs out of the ocean onto the pier, dodging enemies and making friends along the way and culminating in a grand showdown.
- The Great Zombie Walk at the end of HB Pier - students from Orange County School of the Arts perform a “Pacific Coast Zombie Walk” celebrating The Walking Dead.
- French composer Julien Limonne will join forces with UK artist Charlie Adlard for an unprecedented “The Walking Dead”concert.
- Main Street Marketplace - 100 stalls featuring more than 150 artists, publishers and comic art organizations turn Main Street into a free buzzing, bustling comic art outdoor market.
- P Chuck Jones Foundation presents free “You Draw, We Draw” event for families.
- All along Main Street and 5th & PCH the Windows on Comic Art Trail features original comic art in the windows of a number of local Huntington Beach businesses. An important part of NCSFest’s aim to involve the local community and take over Downtown for the weekend with all things comic art, the trail will be displayed from May 6-24, 2019.
Interview opportunities are available with the following cartoonists/representatives. See the full guest list here.
- Steve McGarry - NCSFest Director; President of the National Cartoonists Society Foundation
- Charlie Adlard – The Walking Dead
- Daniel Clowes - Ghost World
- Sergio Aragonés, Tom Richmond, Luke McGarry – Mad Magazine
- Cathy Guisewite - Cathy
- Gilbert & Jaime Hernandez – Love and Rockets
- Patrick McDonnell - Mutts
- Pénélope Bagieu - Brazen
- Robb Armstrong – JumpStart
- Bill Morrison – The Simpsons
- David Silverman – Director of The Simpsons Movie and co-Director of Monsters, Inc.